The Comparison: Zoloft vs. Prozac
Second generation anti-depressants like Zoloft and Prozac are classified under the Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors group. However, it’s hard to predict how the chemical reaction for each of this medication will work inside the human body when taken by a patient suffering from depression. That is why; a lot will depend on the nature of diagnosis when prescribed SSRI antidepressant medicine.
The First Difference between Prozac and Zoloft is in the Ingredients
Both My Canadian Pharmacy drugs are very powerful and are used to treat patients suffering from depression, anxiety and obsessive-compulsive syndromes.
While the active ingredient present in Zoloft is Sertraline, Prozac is known for containing Fluoxetine as an active ingredient.
Here is an introduction to the two anti-depressants before you go into any of the details
Facts about Zoloft
- Canadian Pharmacy Zoloft is available in the market under the brand name Pfizer;
- It comes as a concentrated solution or a coated tablet and needs to be diluted with water before it is consumed;
- The drug is prescribed by doctors for treating depression, along with anxiety, panic, premenstrual dysphoric and other obsessive-compulsive related disorders.
Facts about Prozac
- Prozac is available in the market either in capsule or liquid form;
- The drug is used for balancing the depression causing chemicals present in the brain;
- It can be prescribed for the treatment major obsessive-compulsive disorders accompanied by panic. For instance – Bulimia Nervosa.
Both are well-tolerated anti-depressants and there is a possibility of suffering from potential minor side-effects. Some of these side-effects are:
- nervousness or anxiety;
- sleep problems;
- sexual dysfunction;
- weight gain or loss;
- dry mouth;
Difference between Antidepressants
The difference between the two will also depend on the side-effects caused to a patient. The side-effects that are caused will depend on how the anti-depressants react inside the human body:
- The process of the anti-depressant treatment normally begins with the lowest dosage level.
- The patient is kept under observation, where the behavioral traits need to be carefully studied.
- If the medication does not cause any change in the symptoms then the level of dosage will be increased.
- Determining the right dosage level will depend on how the patient reacts to the different dosage level.
- One that has been determined, the patient will be prescribed the right dosage accordingly.
- The process might be time-consuming. However, there can be no other alternative when it comes to prescribing the right medication dosage.
- It must also be noted that one should not stop taking the medication without the consent of the doctor.
- This can lead a patient to experience unpleasant withdrawal symptoms, which again can cause harmful health consequences.
- Both Prozac and Zoloft are effective anti-depressant medicines. However, they can react differently.
- This can also depend on the duration of the medical effect. It can take a minimum of two to four weeks or even longer before a patient actually starts to feel better.
- Zoloft, however, is likely to cause diarrhea and not Prozac. On the other hand, there is a higher possibility of symptoms like sleep disturbances and dry mouth when it comes to side-effects caused by Prozac medication.
- Both the medications are prescribed in daily dosages. Prozac however, can be prescribed as a weekly dose.
- The prescription of Prozac or Zoloft can also differ in terms of who the patient is. Zoloft for example, are recommended for treatment of disorders in adults and obsessive-compulsive disorders in children belonging to the age group of 6 and above.
- Zoloft should be stored in a moist room temperature with no light. Prozac, on the other hand, needs to be stored in a temperature containing moisture, heat and light.
- In case of an overdose of either medicine, one should always seek emergency medical help. To give you a general overview as to how an overdose of Prozac or Zoloft can cause harm to a patient:
- Symptoms related to Zoloft overdose include – drowsiness, dizziness, vomiting, nausea, agitation, tremor, seizures, coma and rapid heartbeat.
- Symptoms related to Prozac overdo are – fever, nausea, rapid or uneven heartbeat, seizures, coma and confusion. Learn more about the effect of Prozac.
You should also make sure that you let the doctor know in case you are on some other medication. Use of sleep-inducing medicines or alcohol can result in heightened side-effects when it gets mixed with the chemical compositions of both antidepressants.