What is Anorexia?
Anorexia is a nutritional disease accompanied by fear of weight gaining. Patients with anorexia consider themselves to be superfluous full, establish the self-restrictions in food directed on weight reduction. The most part of persons gets sick aged between 13 and 20 years. The vast majority of sufferers are women.
The causes of anorexia still remain inconceivable. Traditionally in anorexia development appoint a part of such factors as the stereotypes about an ideal figure imposed by society. Many girls and women form their views under the influence of mass media. Glossy magazines, popular telecasts and even games propagandize leanness. On the Internet the sites about weight loss, diaries of the growing thin women are widespread, it is possible even to find a free game online about weight loss.
Patients with anorexia usually refuse to eat together with the family or in public establishments. Thus they collect culinary recipes and prepare tasty dishes which others eat. The part of patients doesn’t maintain refusal of food, as a rule, at night they eat much and then cause vomiting. Besides, to reduce body weight, patients with anorexia take medicine — laxative or diuretic, tea for weight loss, and also pay much attention to physical exercises.
Also, other curiosities in behavior are noted, for example, patients can hide food in secluded corners, hide the portion in napkins. Or during a meal cut food on very small slices and constantly shift them on a plate. Patients with anorexia are often reserved, deny the disease.
There are the following symptoms which should become indicators of anorexia:
- body weight remains at the level of at least 15% lower expected, or the index of body weight of Quetelet makes 17,5 or below. At children’s age, there is an inability to gain weight during growth.
- loss of weight is provoked by the patient due to avoiding of food which in his opinion “makes look fat”, and one or more actions which are among the independent calling of vomiting, reception of laxative preparations, excessively active gymnastic exercises, application of the preparations suppressing appetite or diuretics.
- not the correct, strained perception of body image, frequently takes the psychopathological form. As a result, the fear of obesity takes an obsession form, and the patient finds possible for himself only low weight.
- the general endocrine organism’s disorders including an axis hypothalamus hypophysis-sexual glands. It serves as manifestation at women amenorrhoea, and men have a loss of sexual inclination and potentiality; a level increase of growth hormone and cortisol, change of peripheral metabolism of thyroid hormone and the anomaly of insulin secretion is possible.
- at emergence at children’s age of puberty manifestation are late or aren’t shown at all (growth stops, at girls chest glands don’t develop, takes place primary amenorrhoea, remain not developed genitals with boys); at recovery the teenage period often comes to the end quite normally, but lately there come the first periods at girls.
Treatment Provided by My Canadian Pharmacy
Most of the patients resist treatment, claiming that they are absolutely save and sound. As a rule, they are brought violently to the doctor by relatives.
In clinics, the whole programs for treatment and care of such patients are developed. As a rule, these are programs of behavioral therapy in combination with other types of psychotherapy.
It is better to give food in the small portions, controlling the patient within 2 hours after food that it didn’t cause vomiting. If sick with anorexia refuses to eat it is possible to feed him with special nutritious mixes (are on sale in drugstores). Usually sick with anorexia don’t object to liquids and liquid food reception. It is necessary to write down the daily amount of the drunk liquid and the removed urine.
Be attentive to your relatives, to your close people not to be involved in such troubles and be ready to help in time.