Nexium for The Treatment of Ulcer
Nexium tablets, injections and granules have the most active ingredient named esomerprazole. Esomeprazole is known as the proton pump inhibitor. This ingredient decreases the acid which is formed in the stomach.
Nexium is used for:
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disorder.
- Prevention and treating peptic ulcers.
- Excessive discharge of stomach acid because of tumour or widening of pancreas, known as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
How does Nexium work?
Nexium tablets are known as proton pump inhibitor. This is because; proton pumps which are found on cells producing stomach acids are inhibited by esomeprazole and this is how the production of acids in the stomach is reduced.
Production of acids in the stomach is a normal for digestion of food. However, when gastro-oesophageal reflux disorder occurs, it causes a back suction for these acids which then enters the foodpipe causing burning sensation called as heartburn or it may also cause pain, irritation and inflammation of the foodpipe.
Esomeprazole helps to reduce the production of the acids which are formed in the stomach; in return it reduces the backflow of the acids hence it helps in curing heartburn and reflux oesophagities.
Esomeprazole helps in curing stomach ulcers as well as upper intestine or peptic ulcers. Helicobacter pylori bacteria are responsible for these kinds of ulcers. These bacteria are responsible for production of too much stomach acids, these excess acids irritates the upper intestine and the lining of stomach causing ulcer.
Esomeprazole is combined with antibiotics to eliminate Helicobacter polori bacteria from the gut. The combination of esomeprazole and antibiotics works effectively to eliminate bacteria from the gut which cures ulcers and also prevents it from recurring.
Peptic ulcers which occur as a side effect of the drugs used for curing arthritis namely non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) diclofenac are also healed by Esomeprazole.
Nexium for ulcers must be swallowed fully with still drinking water; otherwise the sachet of the medicine must be mixed well in 15ml of still drinking water and should be taken properly. Double dosage is forbidden.
- Stomach cancer also have similar symptoms as that of stomach ulcers and esomeprazole can mask the symptoms of the stomach cancer which may cause in the occurrence of delay in the diagnosis. Hence, it is recommended that the checkup must be done thoroughly before taking the medicine.
- Esameprazole if taken in excess may lead to breakage of hip, spine or wrist. It may also lead to lowering of magnesium in the blood if taken for more than 3 months. This may lead to fatigue, disorientation, muscle spasms or twitching, dizziness, convulsion and increased rate of heart.
Caution should be taken if a person has:
- Very low function of the kidney.
- Very low function of the liver.
- Osteoporosis or who are prone to osteoporosis.
- Deficiency of vitamin B12.
- Breastfeeding, this is because it is unknown to the manufacturer whether the medicine gets mix with the breast milk or not.
- As these tablets have sucrose content in it, so people who have intolerance for fructose, insufficiency of sucrase-isomaltase or glucose-galactose malabsorption should not consume it.
Some side effects of Nexium which may or may not occur are as follows:
- Diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, constipation or vomiting;
- Formation of excess gas in the intestine and stomach (wind or flatulence);
- Dry mouth;
- Spinning sensation or dizziness;
- Needles and pins sensations (paraesthesia);
- Swelling of ankles and legs due to excess retention of fluids (peripheral oedema);
- Augmented liver enzymes;
- Reaction on skin such as rash, hives, dermatitis or itching.
These side effects occur to people in the probability of 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000. It is not necessary for a person to suffer these side effects. A person may also be cured from ulcers by taking these medicines without suffering any side effects.
Esomeprazole are harmful for certain drugs, it reacts with other drugs and inhibits their working. For example, anti HIV medicines, anticoagulant medicines, antidepressant are some of the medicines which get affected by esomeprazole.