What is Zithromax?
Zithromax pills belong to category of very effective antibiotics. The action of its active component is aimed at combating different nature of bacterial infections, including sexually transmitted infections. The principle of drug action is to stop bacteria growth in body. Under drug influence immune system strengthens and body rapidly breaks down any remaining bacteria. It is used even to fight opportunistic infections of HIV-infected people.
The composition includes pharmacologically active substance – azithromycin and additive agents which facilitate its release and absorption. Antibacterial properties of azithromycin are not to destroy bacteria and to suppress their growth and reproduction by inhibiting synthesis of microbial cells structural proteins.
High drug concentrations is able to provide, including bactericidal effect, that is, to kill “unbidden guests”. Zithromax “kills” streptococci and staphylococci, mycoplasma and chlamydia. Zithromax instructions for use will satisfy patient’s curiosity with respect to all the representatives of microworld: there is exhaustive list of bacteria for which drug performs.
Indications for Use
- Infections of upper respiratory tract (acute and chronic tonsillopharyngitis, acute and chronic recurrent sinusitis, acute otitis media).
- Infections of lower respiratory tract (acute bacterial bronchitis, exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, community-acquired bacterial pneumonia).
- Infections of skin and soft tissue: uncomplicated forms of acne vulgaris, erythema chronicum migrans (initial stage of Lyme disease), erysipelas, impetigo, pyoderma.
- Sexually transmitted diseases (urethritis, cervicitis).
- Diseases of stomach and duodenum associated with Helicobacter pylori.
Hypersensitivity to macrolide antibiotics. Due to theoretical possibility of ergotism, Zithromax should not be used concurrently with ergotamine derivatives.
Zithromax is not recommended for people who have individual tolerance to this group of antibiotics. Precautions for drug use should be taken in patients with liver dysfunction and kidneys. Main Zithromax contraindications is pregnancy and lactation period (Read more about Antibiotics during pregnancy in article “Canadian Pharmacy Antibiotics and Pregnancy”). Although in some cases Zithromax may be taken independently on contraindications. But only if mother’s condition is very serious indeed. In this case, you must bear in mind the potential risk for future baby.
Pregnancy and Lactation Period
When pregnancy Zithromax is assigned only in extreme cases when disease risk to expectant mother is greater than possible risks on fetus. During lactation period treatment with Zithromax is impossible, but if there is such a strict necessity, it is mandatory breast-feeding.