Advair Diskus: Dosage and Instructions for Use
Advair Diskus dosage information is important, as there are different dosages. Carefully read the information below as you may need a special dosing. My Canadian Pharmacy offers 3 dosages: 25mcg/50mcg , 25 mcg /125mcg, 25mcg/250mcg.
[ithshop code=”advair” tpl=”short” page_id=”2189″ dummy=”txt”]
The medication should be administered twice a day by the oral route only. After inhalation, you need to rinse your mouth with some but not swallow to help reduce the possible risks of oropharyngeal candidiasis.
* More frequent appliance (more than 1 inhalation twice per day) of the prescribed dosage of Advair is not recommended by doctors as some patients may experience side effects due to Salmeterol overdosage. Patients using this medication should not use other long-term maintenance medication for any reason.
Advair Diskus for Asthma Treatment
If a patient experience asthma symptoms between Advair doses, an inhaled, short-term beta2-agonist should be used for immediate relief.
Adults and Children over 12:
- Patients over 12 years of age should use the medication twice a day with 1 inhalation at the time, approximately at the interval of 12 hours;
- The recommended initial dosage for this group of patients is based on the asthma severity;
- The maximum recommended dosage is 500/50 mcg twice a day;
- Asthma symptoms relief may occur after 20-30 minutes after inhalation (when used at the initial stage of the drug appliance). The maximum benefit of the medication may be achieved only after 1 week after starting treatment with this drug from Canada. In unique cases patients may experience other time of asthma symptom relief;
- Patients who do not feel any improvement in their condition after the starting Advair Diskus within 2 weeks of therapy, may require a higher dosage of the medication which is likely to provide a real improvement in asthma treatment;
- If patients do not feel any improvement from the dosage that was effective in asthma control before, it is recommended to review the current therapeutic regimen and add some other therapeutic options (for example, replacing the current dosage with a higher one or adding some inhaled oral corticosteroids)
Children Aged from 4 to 11:
Patients of the age of 4-11 require 100/50 mcg twice a day approximately at the interval of 12 hours.
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (CORD)
- Patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease are recommended to receive 1 inhalation of Advair Diskus 250/50 mcg twice a day approximately at the interval of 12 hours;
- If patients experience shortness of breath in the period between the doses, they have to use an inhaled, short-acting beta2-agonist to get immediate relief.
What to do if I miss a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is the time for the next dose of the medication. Do not use additional medicine to compensate the missed dose.
The objective and subjective symptoms of Advair Diskus overdose are tremors, headache, and tachycardia.
- Inhalation of the doses higher than recommended may cause temporary suppression of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal system. Usually, this condition does not require some emergency measures, as in most cases the normal adrenal function is recovered in a few days;
- Prolonged inhalation of excessive doses may significantly suppress adrenal. There are rare reports of acute adrenal crisis, which occurs mostly in children receiving excessive doses of the drug (several months or years) for a long time. The acute adrenal crisis is manifested through hypoglycemia accompanied by confusion and/or convulsions. Situations which can be a triggering factor for acute adrenal crisis include trauma, surgery, infection.
Antidotes of an overdose are cardioselective β-blockers. In cases when it is necessary to neutralize the action of the drug due to an overdose, the patient should be prescribed the appropriate replacement corticosteroids.
Patients should be aware that it’s forbidden to take doses higher than recommended. Regular evaluation of the therapy effectiveness is important. Reduce Advair dose to the minimum effective one, if possible, to control your asthma symptoms.
In chronic overdose, it is recommended to control the adrenocortical function.