Ventolin Dosage and Administration
Ventolin inhaler is administrated in form of inhalation. Increased demand for use of agonists beta2-adrenergic receptors may be a symptom of asthma exacerbation. In such a situation you may require re-evaluation of the scheme of patient treatment with the consideration of simultaneous GCS therapy advisability.
Since Ventolin overdose may be accompanied by the development of adverse events, dose or multiplicity of the drug may be increased only on doctor’s recommendation.
The effect duration in most patients is up to 6 hours.
Patients who experience difficulty in synchronizing inhalation with aerosol inhaler under pressure can use a spacer.
In children and infants receiving this drug, it is advisable to use a pediatric spacer device with a face mask.
For the relief of bronchospasm (asthma) attack:
- the recommended dose for adults is 100 or 200 mcg; children – 100 mg, the dose may be increased up to 200 mg if necessary.
- it is not recommended to use Ventolin inhaler more than 4 times a day. The need for frequent use of the maximum dose or a sudden increase in dose indicates asthma exacerbation.
To prevent asthma and bronchospasm attacks associated with allergen exposure or physical overloading:
- an adults dose- 200 mg 10-15 minutes before exposure to a provoking factor or load;
- children – 100 micrograms 10-15 minutes before exposure to the inciting factor, or load, as appropriate dose may be increased up to 200 micrograms.
With long-term maintenance the treatment of adults:
- up to 200 mg 4 times daily;
- children – up to 200 mg four times a day.
Terms of Inhaler Use
Before the first inhaler use, or if the inhaler is not used for longer than a week, remove a cap from mouthpiece, slightly squeezed cap, shake it well, produce two air spraying in order to ensure inhaler order.
How to Use Inhaler?
- remove the cap from the mouthpiece, gently squeezing cap on both sides.
- inspect mouthpiece inside and outside to make sure it was clean.
- shake it.
- hold inhaler between pointer and thumb in a vertical bottom-up position, in this time thumb should be placed on mouthpiece basis.
- make a slow deep breath, grasping mouthpiece with lips, not clenching teeth.
- make the deepest breath through your mouth, at the same time pressing on the upper part of the inhaler to release one dose of inhaled Ventolin.
- hold your breath for a few seconds, take the mouthpiece out of the mouth, then slowly exhale.
- for the second dose, holding inhaler in a vertical position, wait 30 seconds and then repeat this procedure up to 7 times.
- tightly close mouthpiece protective cap.
Performing step 5, 6 and 7, you should not rush. You should begin to breathe as slowly as possible just before pressing the inhaler gate. In the first few times, it is recommended to practice in front of a mirror.
If you see “mist” coming from the top of an inhaler or from the corners of the mouth, it is necessary to start again from step 2.
If your doctor has given other instructions on inhaler use, the patient should strictly follow them. If patients have difficulty using an inhaler, he should consult a doctor.
The inhaler should be cleaned at least 1 time per week:
- remove metal canister from the plastic casing;
- remove mouthpiece lid;
- rinse plastic case and mouthpiece cover under warm running water;
- dry plastic case and mouthpiece cover fully both outside and inside;
- avoid overheating;
- put a metal canister in a plastic casing and put on the lid of the mouthpiece
- do not immerse metal canister into the water.
Apply as inhalation. Ventolin Nebules is not intended for injection. Nebula drug should be used under the supervision of professionals with a special inhaler (nebulizer) and a mask, a T-shaped tube or endotracheal tube. If the risk of hypoxia due to hypoventilation, inhaled air may be oxygen enriched.
Ventolin Nebules for use in the undiluted form, but if prolonged administration of salbutamol solution (over 10 minutes) is necessary, it may be diluted with sterile 0.9% sodium chloride solution. The solution remaining unused in a chamber after inhalation should be poured out.
Since many nebulizers are available when using with constant air flow, it is possible that drug is sprayed into the environment. With this in mind, Ventolin Nebules should be used in well-ventilated areas; this recommendation should be followed strictly especially in hospitals where nebulizers can be simultaneously used by several patients.
Adults and children over 1.5 years average starting the dose administered by inhalation using a nebulizer, is 2.5 mg, but it may be increased up to 5 mg. Inhalations may be repeated 4 times per day. For severe airway obstruction treatment, adult patients can use the drug in higher doses – 40 mg per day – under strict medical supervision in a hospital.