Contraindications for Advair Diskus
The absolute contraindications for Advair Diskus:
- Hypersensitivity to the active substances (Fluticasone / Salmeterol);
- Children under the age of 4.
Use Advair Diskus with Caution
- Since the medication contains corticosteroids, Advair Diskus should be used with caution in patients with acute or latent pulmonary tuberculosis;
- Use the drug with caution in case of thyrotoxicosis;
- The remedy is not recommended for fungal, viral or bacterial infections of the respiratory system;
- When you receive any drug from the sympathomimetic group, particularly in excessive doses, you may develop cardiovascular problems, such as an increase in systolic blood pressure and heart rate. For this reason, Fluticasone / Salmeterol is not recommended in patients with cardiovascular diseases, including arrhythmias, supraventricular tachycardia and premature beats, ventricular premature beats, atrial fibrillation;
- Excessive doses of the drug may provoke a transient decrease in potassium level in serum. Therefore, Advair from Canada should be used with caution in patients with hypokalemia;
- Any inhaled corticosteroids may cause systemic effects, especially in prolonged use at excessive doses. Therefore, the drug should be used with caution in glaucoma, cataracts, osteoporosis;
- There are very rare reports of the increased blood glucose level, so diabetics should use this medicine with caution.
- The drug is intended for long-term treatment and prevention of the disease exacerbation, rather than cupping (for this purpose use inhaled short-acting bronchodilators);
- The drug should be taken on a regular basis, even if there are no asthma symptoms;
- The increased need for a dosage may indicate an exacerbation of asthma. Consult your doctor immediately;
- Do not stop using Advair Diskus without your doctor’s permission;
- Excessive doses for a long time may produce systemic effects. It is required to reduce the dosage to minimal when a patient achieves the needed therapeutic effect for better control of asthma and preventing side effects;
- It is necessary to regularly consider the dynamics of the children growth when they receive Fluticasone / Salmeterol for a long time;
- A patient may develop adrenal insufficiency, so it is necessary to monitor the indicators of adrenocortical function carefully;
- The drug cancelation should be gradual;
- When stressed, a patient may need an additional dosage of the drug;
- If this drug has to be canceled due to the developed allergy to Salmeterol, the patient should be prescribed replacement glucocorticoids.
- When the patient transfers to inhalation therapy with systemic corticosteroids, he may also experience some allergic reactions (rhinitis, eczema), which were earlier suppressed by the systemic medication.
- Consult a doctor before using this medication!